Yesterday was first official day of Fall. With changing in seasons, your skin is the one that suffers the most. So, its time to adjust your skin care routine for fabulous fall skin. And what better than some DIY care. We all know that oranges are good for our health, mainly due to their high Vitamin C content. They are also packed with Vitamins A and B, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Soluble fiber and other nutrients. But, did you know that orange peel itself holds way more Vitamin C and nutrients than the orange pulp or juice? 100g of fresh orange peel provides 136mg of vitamin C whereas its pulp about 71mg/100g.
Your skin loves vitamin C. The more the better. After enjoying this tangy fruit, most of us throw away the peels. But in doing so, we’re missing out on many benefits, as the peels have unique health, beauty and other uses. You can even include shredded orange peels and zest in your regular cooking. So, take advantage of the nutritional benefits of orange peels through countless ways, as you do with the fruit.
But first, lets start with making the orange powder.
- Collect enough orange peels according to how much powder you want to make. It’s always better to have a bottle full of it if you intend to use it regularly.
- Wash the peels and set them out in a tray to dry in a place where there is good sunlight. This may take 2-3 days depending on the weather. The peels must be completely dry and should look dehydrated.
- Once the orange peels are sun-dried you can grind them into powder and store it in an airtight container.
Once this powder is ready, you are ready to go!
Here are the top 10 uses of orange peels.
1. Face Mask:
Skin blemishes and dark spots can be reduced with orange peels. They work as a natural bleacher that helps improve your skin tone. Furthermore, their Vitamin C content maintains your skin’s suppleness, prevents dullness and adds a healthy glow. It even protects the skin from harmful ultraviolet (UV) sun-rays.
This orange peel powder face mask can be used to exfoliate and cleanse your skin leaving it fresh and healthy. So chuck those exfoliators, scrubs and cleansers and go for this all-natural home-made face mask!
You will need:
- 1 tsp orange peel powder
- 1 tsp yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Apply all over your face and leave it for 10-15 mins. Wet your fingers and scrub lightly over the areas where there are blackheads. For over all exfoliation, scrub all over the face slowly in circular motion. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry and notice the fresh glow on your skin. Apply moisturizer if you have a dry skin.
Why this works:
Honey has antibacterial properties and helps sooth and cleanse your skin. It also brings a healthy shine to the skin. Yogurt helps improve complexion and acts as a natural bleach when used regularly. It also helps moisturize and prevents wrinkles and fine lines. Orange peel powder helps get rid of pimples, blemishes or dark spots and is an excellent exfoliator. It is best for oily skin as it helps in oil control and takes away excess oil. All three combined together make an excellent face mask for a glowy skin.
Note: Use for at least 2 weeks to see a noticeable difference. Desired results also depends on skin type and regularity of use.
2. Fights Aging Signs:
The powerful antioxidants in orange peels fight off free radicals. These free radicals damage healthy skin cells, which accelerates skin aging and promotes wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin. Furthermore, the peels work as a great skin toner, thanks to their astringent properties.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of orange peel powder and oatmeal powder with enough honey to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and neck area.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water.
Use this anti-aging face mask once a week for best results.
3. Removes Blackheads and Whiteheads:
Being slightly abrasive in nature, orange peel powder works as a natural exfoliating agent that can remove dirt and dead skin cells from your skin. This helps prevent the formation of blackheads and whiteheads. It even reduces the occurrence of acne.
- Prepare a paste with equal amounts of orange peel powder and plain yogurt.
- Apply it on your face and neck area, using gentle circular motions.
- Allow it to sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- With wet hands, gently rub off the paste.
Use this remedy every other day to reduce blackheads and whiteheads. Then, repeat once a week as a preventive measure.
4. Whitens Teeth:
Fresh orange peels can also reduce the yellow tinge accumulated on your teeth. The peel contains a compound known as d-limonene that helps reduce teeth staining, especially smoking stains.
- Simply rub the inside of an orange peel (the white portion) over your teeth for 2 to 3 minutes, then rinse your mouth and teeth with lukewarm water.
- Do this twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Alternatively, mix some orange peel powder and a little water to make a paste. You can also add dried leaves in it. Put this paste on your toothbrush and use it to brush your teeth. Repeat twice daily for a few weeks.
5. Aids Weight Loss:
Orange peels can help you lose weight. Many nutritional components of oranges are present in the peel, especially vitamin C. This antioxidant vitamin helps burn fat. In your weight-loss diet, include orange peel tea instead of coffee and sodas.
To make this tea:
- Dry the peels from a few oranges in a cool, dry place.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the dried peels in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peels and add a little raw honey.
- Drink 2 cups of this herbal tea daily.
Note: Make sure you use the peels from organic oranges and wash them thoroughly before drying.
6. Lowers Bad Cholesterol:
Orange peels can even help reduce the low-density lipoproteins (LDL or the ‘bad’ cholesterol) in the body that increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and heart attacks. The rich pectin, a natural soluble fiber, in the peels helps reduce cholesterol as well as blood pressure levels.
7. Regulates Bowel Movements:
Orange peels even improve digestion. The high dietary fiber in them helps regulate bowel movements, which prevents constipation. They also help treat various digestive disorders, including indigestion, gas, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating and heartburn.
Plus, the pectin in orange peels is beneficial for the growth of friendly bacteria in the large intestine.
After eating a meal, drink a cup of orange peel tea to improve digestion.
8. Works as a Natural Air Freshener:
The sweet, lemony aroma of orange peels works as a great air freshener. You can use them to mask unpleasant odors in different areas of your home or office, including kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and living rooms.
- Put a handful of fresh orange peels, a little lemon juice and a few cinnamon sticks in 2 cups of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Strain, allow it to cool and then transfer the liquid into a spray bottle. Use it as needed.
- Put some orange peel powder in small sachet and place them in different areas around the house to mask bad odors.
- Place some dried orange peels at the bottom of your trash can to keep odors at bay.
9. Repels Mosquitoes and Ants:
The citrus smell of orange peels deters ants and also works to repel mosquitoes, flies, and even cats. Insects do not like the limonene (which contributes to the citrus smell), found in abundance in orange and other citrus fruit peels.
- Grind some orange peels and place the powder in areas where ants, flies and other pests are prone to congregate.
- To prevent mosquito bites, rub fresh orange peels all over your skin.
- Put orange peels around your windowsills, doors and other entry points to keep stray cats away.
10. Makes Good Compost for Gardening:
Orange peels make a great addition to the compost pile. Being rich in nitrogen, they make the soil more fertile to support healthy cultivation of fruits and vegetables. They will even make the compost pile smell fresh and deter cats and dogs from digging in or using your garden as a litter box.
- Thoroughly wash the peels of a few oranges and other citrus fruits under running water to remove pesticides and harmful chemicals.
- Chop them into pieces for faster degradation.
- Mix them into your compost pile.
Once the compost is ready, use it for gardening.
- Wash the peels under cold water to remove as much of the pesticides as possible before drying them in the sun.
- Always dry the peels thoroughly before grinding them to make a powder.
- Store the dried powder in an airtight container.
- Do not store fresh peels in the refrigerator.